Monday, March 19, 2012

What's Warped Now: Hawaiian Inspired Scarf

Hey all! My goodness, I am so sorry for not updating since February. Two weeks ago I was fending off a nasty cold and last week I was traveling for my dad's birthday so it was tough to make time for new projects or blog posts. But I'm back now, with some special stuff to share. (Hopefully it was worth the two week wait!)

It's now almost officially springtime, which means cold-weather scarves has gone the way of hot chocolate and snowpeople. But cooler spring weather is still a perfect time for looser-woven scarves. Last weekend, I was fortunate enough to attend the Philadelphia Flower Show, the theme for which this year was Hawaii. The floral arrangements and displays were absolutely gorgeous, as they are every year. Take a look below:


The above image was made using entirely natural plant material-- no dyes or anything! Pretty amazing, huh?


Beautiful bright floral display.


Single cut flowers were kept alive and blooming by sitting in little bulbs of water. I thought this display was really neat!


Some of the exhibitions were tiny. In fact, this one's theme was "Tiny Bubbles."

And thanks to my visit, I got some tropical inspiration for a new loosely-woven scarf that I'm starting on right now. It's not on the loom yet, but I'm in the process of designing the warp using yarn I have left over from previous projects. This is the really fun part for me, because it's a challenge to find the right balance of colors-- what seems like a random selection of colors, weights, textures and order of yarn for the warp actually wasn't random at all, but mulled over considerably (here's where being obsessive sometimes can really come in handy, hehehe.) Hopefully in an update soon I can post about how well this one's coming along!



And, as a bonus sorry-I-haven't-updated-recently treat, here's a detail of a scarf I finished in between napping, drinking my weight in iced tea, and hacking up a lung two weeks ago. I revisited the vanilla-chocolate-strawberry theme again, but this time added a little sparkle!



Thanks for visiting, and I promise to be back next week (if not sooner)!

No comments:

Post a Comment